Medical Cannabis has been used in treating or alleviating the pain, nausea, and other symptoms associated with a variety of debilitating medical conditions.

Unfortunately, many individuals who may benefit from Medical Cannabis are either uncertain or unaware of how to obtain access to it.

At Mora Mota Group, we're posting a FAQ list that can help provide insight into the Delaware Medical Marijuana Program.

Frequently Asked Questions


+ What is the DEMMP?

The Delaware Medical Marijuana Program (DEMMP) was implemented under the Division of Public Health (DPH); the Delaware Medical Marijuana Act regulates the medical use of marijuana in Delaware which was signed into law on May 13, 2011.

+ Why was the DEMMP Established?

The DEMMP was established under the state's Medical Marijuana Program (MMP); the Office of Medical Marijuana (OMM) has developed rules for compassion centers' oversight, record keeping, and security.

+ How do I register for the DEMMP?

In order to obtain a patient registry card with the Delaware Medical Marijuana Program, a patient must meet the qualifying debilitating condition, send a copy of the written certification to the state Department of Health and Social Services, and the Department will issue an ID card after verifying the information.

+ What are the qualifying medical conditions?

The DEMMP recognizes Medical Marijuana for both adult and pediatric patients, although if the qualified patient is younger than 18, the physician must be a pediatric neurologist, pediatric gastroenterologist, pediatric oncologist, or pediatric palliative care specialist.

Adult Patient Qualifying Conditions

  • Terminal illness
  • Cancer
  • Decompensated Cirrhosis
  • ALS
  • Agitation of Alzheimer's disease
  • Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Intractable epilepsy
  • Autism with self-injurious or aggressive behavior
  • A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces:
    • Cachexia or wasting syndrome
    • Severe, debilitating pain that has not responded to previously prescribed medication or surgical measure for more than three months, or for which other treatment options produced serious side effects, intractable nausea, seizures
  • Severe and persistent muscle spasms (including but not limited to those characteristic of Multiple Sclerosis).

Pediatric Patient Qualifying Conditions

  • Intractactable epilepsy
  • A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition where they have failed treatment involving one or more of the following symptoms:
    • Cachexia or wasting syndrome
    • Intractable nausea
    • Severe, painful and persistent muscle spasms.

+ Who are the qualified medical professionals?

The Department will consider an applicant's written certification from a physician, however, the patient must maintain a bona fide relationship with a Delaware physician.

+ Where do I send my completed MMMP application?

Once a Physician Certification form is complete, the Patient must submit the completed and signed form, signed DEMMP consent for release of medical information and non-refundable application fee ($125) to:

Delaware Division of Public Health, ATTN: MMP, Suite 130, 417 Federal Street, Dover, DE 19901

Check or money order payable to the Delaware Office of Medical Marijuana.

+ What DEMMP Application/Forms do I fill out?

+ How much cannabis can I posses while registered under the DEMMP?

Delaware’s law allows a patient with a State of Delaware registry identification card to possess six ounces at once and to obtain up to three ounces of processed marijuana every 14 days.

Home cultivation is not allowed in Delaware; the State currently recognizes properly permitted compassion centers as the only legal way to obtain marijuana, with the following licensed compassion centers located here.

+ What about Caregivers Registered under the DEMMP?

A qualified patient can designate a caregiver who must register with the Delaware Medical Marijuana Program through an additional application and fee. Your approved caregiver can assist you in obtaining your medical marijuana.

+ Where can I get more Information?

You may access the DPH website here.