Medical Cannabis has been used in treating or alleviating the pain, nausea, and other symptoms associated with a variety of debilitating medical conditions.
Unfortunately, many individuals who may benefit from Medical Cannabis are either uncertain or unaware of how to obtain access to it.
At Mora Mota Group, we're posting a FAQ list that can help provide insight into the Massachusetts Medical Marihuana Program.
Frequently Asked Questions
+ What is the MUMP?
The Medical Use of Marihuana Program (MUMP) was implemented by the Department of Public Health of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts after approval by Massachusetts voters on November 6, 2012.
+ Why was the MUMP Established?
The MUMP was established to administer a registration program under the Department of Public Health of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
+ How do I register for the MMMP?
In order to obtain a patient registry card with the Medical Use of Marijuana Program, an appointment with your qualified health care provider is required in order to begin the registration process.
+ What are the qualifying medical conditions?
A patient must be diagnosed by a qualifying medical professional for one of the following conditions:
- HIV Positive or AIDS
- Hepatitis C
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Crohn’s Disease
- Parkinson's Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Other conditions as determined in writing by a qualifying patient’s physician.
+ Who are the qualified medical professionals?
You may find a local, qualified doctor in your area at WeedMaps.com.
+ Where do I send my completed MMMP application?
The Medical Use of Marijuana Online System (MMJ Online System) is available for qualifying patients to register to possess marijuana for medical purposes. Once your health care provider has issued you a certification, you may register with the Medical Use of Marijuana Program here and selecting “Medical Use of Marijuana System”.
+ What MMMP Applications and Forms do I fill out?
- Patient Guidance for Registration
- Patient Online Registration Step-by-Step Instructions
- Patient Guidance for Registration Renewal
- Patient Online Registration Renewal Step-by-Step Instructions
- Caregiver Registration Step-by-Step Instructions
+ How much cannabis can I posses while registered under the MMMP?
Patients may legally posses a sixty day supply of medical cannabis, defined as 10 ounces. Patients may obtain their medical cannabis through a state-approved Registered Medical Dispensary (RMD).
Additionally, the Department may issue a cultivation registration to "a qualifying patient whose access to a medical treatment center is limited by verified financial hardship, a physical incapacity to access reasonable transportation, or the lack of a treatment center within a reasonable distance of the patient’s residence." This permits a patient or caregiver to grow a limited amount of plants in order to maintain a sixty day supply of medical cannabis.
+ What about Primary Caregivers Registered under the MUMP?
An individual who registers to become a registered primary caregiver may:
- Transport a registered qualifying patient to and from a registered marijuana dispensary (RMD) as an incidental service to care, including assistance with activities of daily living, being provided for the registered patient;
- Obtain and transport marijuana from a RMD on behalf of a registered qualifying patient;
- Engage in limited cultivation of a patient’s sixty day supply of marijuana on behalf of a registered qualifying patient either at the primary residence of the personal caregiver or the primary residence of the registered qualifying patient;
- Prepare marijuana for consumption by a registered qualifying patient; and
- Administer marijuana to a registered qualifying patient.
+ Where can I get more Information?
You may access the DPH website here.