Medical Cannabis has been used in treating or alleviating the pain, nausea, and other symptoms associated with a variety of debilitating medical conditions.

Unfortunately, many individuals who may benefit from Medical Cannabis are either uncertain or unaware of how to obtain access to it.

At Mora Mota Group, we're posting a FAQ list that can help provide insight into the Montana Medical Marijuana Program.


Frequently Asked Questions

+ What is the MMP?

The Montana Marijuana Program (MMP) is a patient registry program that was approved by Montana voters on November 2, 2004.

+ Why was the MMP Established?

The MMP establishes and maintains the issuance of identification cards through the Department of Public Health and Human Services (DPHHS), under the Montana Medical Marijuana Act (MMMA).

+ How do I register for the MMP?

In order to obtain a patient registry card with the Montana Medical Marijuana Program, the law requires that a licensed health care practitioner certify that the patient has one or more of the qualifying conditions.

+ What are the qualifying medical conditions?

A patient must be diagnosed by a qualifying medical professional for one of the following conditions:

  • Cancer
  • Glaucoma
  • PTSD
  • A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces:
    • Cachexia or wasting syndrome
    • Severe or chronic pain
    • Severe nausea
    • Seizures, including seizures caused by epilepsy, or
    • Severe or persistent muscle spasms, including spasms caused by multiple sclerosis or Crohn's disease
  • Admittance to hospice care; or
  • Any other medical condition or treatment for a medical condition adopted by the department by rule.

+ Who are the qualified medical professionals?

You may find a local, qualified doctor in your area at

+ Where do I sign up for the MMP?

New or renewal patients are required to complete a registered cardholder application, application fee ($5 paid by check or money order), photocopy of valid Montana Driver's license or State ID, applicable Physician Statement, and Landlord Permission Form (if applicable) to be mailed to:

DPHHS/MMP, PO BOX 202953, HELENA MT 59620-2953

+ What MMP Applications and Forms do I fill out?

+ How much cannabis can I posses while registered under the MMP?

Registered cardholders are limited to twelve seedlings (less than 12" tall), four mature, flowering plants, and up to 1 ounce of usable marijuana.

+ What about Primary Caregivers Registered under the MMP?

A Caregiver is an individual, 18 years of age or older who has agreed to undertake responsibility for managing the well-being of a person with respect to the medical use of marijuana. A qualifying patient may have only one caregiver at any one time.

+ Where can I get more Information?

You may access the DPHHS website here.