Medical Cannabis has been used in treating or alleviating the pain, nausea, and other symptoms associated with a variety of debilitating medical conditions.

Unfortunately, many individuals who may benefit from Medical Cannabis are either uncertain or unaware of how to obtain access to it.

At Mora Mota Group, we're posting a FAQ list that can help provide insight into the New Mexico Medical Marijuana Program.


Frequently Asked Questions

+ What is the NMMCP?

The New Mexico Medical Cannabis Program developed a patient registry program that was passed by the New Mexico Senate in 2007.

+ Why was the NMMCP Established?

The New Mexico Department of Health was designated to administer the NMMCP and register patients, caregivers, and providers, under the The Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Act.

+ How do I register for the NMMCP?

In order to become a registered patient with the New Mexico Medical Cannabis Program, the law requires that a licensed health care practitioner certify that the patient has one or more of the qualifying conditions.

+ What are the qualifying medical conditions?

A patient must be diagnosed by a qualifying medical professional for one of the following conditions:

  • Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
  • Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's disease)
  • Cancer
  • Crohn's disease
  • Epilepsy
  • Glaucoma
  • Hepatitis C infection currently receiving antiviral treatment
  • Huntington's Disease
  • Hospice care
  • Inclusion body myositis
  • Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis
  • Intractable nausea/vomiting
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord
  • Painful peripheral neuropathy
  • Parkinson's disease
  • PTSD
  • Severe chronic pain
  • Severe anorexia/cachexia
  • Spasmodic torticollis
  • Ulcerative colitis

+ Who are the qualified medical professionals?

A patient must receiveCertification must be provided by a practitioner as defined in Section 3 of the Lynn & Erin Compassionate Use Act of 2007, i.e.: “a person licensed in New Mexico to prescribe and administer drugs that are subject to the Controlled Substances Act.”

+ What NMMCP applications and forms do I need to fill out?

You will find the applications for first time patients, re-enrolling patients, primary caregivers, personal production, information change, and card replacement forms below.


If your personal information has changed, you have moved, new phone number, stopped using Medical Cannabis, you have lost or damaged your card, etc. you must complete the appropriate form below and submit it with your current Patient ID Card and/or Personal Production License Card and a copy of your New Mexico driver's license or state identification card.


+ Where do I send my completed NMMCP Application?

Once complete, please mail application to the Medical Cannabis Program

Mailing Address:

Department of Health, Medical Cannabis Program, PO Box 26110, Santa Fe, NM 87502-6110

Physical Address:

Department of Health, Medical Cannabis Program, 1474 Rodeo Road Suite 200, Santa Fe, NM 87505

There is currently no fee for the patient enrollment card.

+ How much cannabis can I posses while registered under the NMMCP?

Patients may possess up to 230 units or eight ounces in a three-month period.

+ What about Primary Caregivers Registered under the NJMMP?

To enroll as a personal caregiver for an existing patient(s), you must complete the Medical Cannabis Caregiver Application and submit it with a copy of your New Mexico driver's license or state identification card and background check.

+ Where can I get more Information?

You may access the DOH website here.